Tragana is a coastal village of the Lokron municipality, in Fthiotida, Central Greece, 135 km north of Athens.


Apart from the locals, each year, there are several visitors, as the area is also o popular summer resort. Most of them are attracted by the beautiful beaches of the Opountio bay, which owes its name to the ancient capital of Locris (Opountas). Furthermore, there is also a small island, "Mitros", connected to the mainland by a narrow strip of land when the tide withdraws.


Findings of the archaeologists indicate uninterrupted human presence in the area, since the “Protoelladiki” period (3200 - 2100 BC). In fact, fishing and agriculture, with vineyards having a key role, serve also as links between cultures of the past and the present.


With its current name, it is probably known since 1894, when it was established by decree, by residents of the neighboring villages “Proskina” and “Kiparissi”. Both villages were severely damaged by that year’s devastating earthquake. As a matter of fact, in Tragana, an existing peninsula was partially covered with sea water, forming “Gaidouronisi”.


In any case, apart from the archaeological findings and its natural beauty, the region is also interesting from a religious point of view. On the mountain, overviewing Tragana, there are an old monastery of the Holy Trinity and the church of St. Catherine, owned by the foundation of the Holy Monastery of Mount Sinai.